Thursday, March 7, 2013

Spring Break Fun: Run With 101 Things

Over the past week I’ve been working on a few mid term projects, which is why my posts have been a bit slim. However, I just completed one project for my social media class, that reminded me of another that I thought I’d share with everyone. Plus, since it’s Spring Break, I figured let’s post a fun project for people to use that could be a great tool in encouraging the holistic all campus experience. 

It was the summer of 2009, and I was just coming into the office for the day. I was in a chipper mood, the sun was out and I had just seen a great movie the night before called “Bucket List”. If you haven’t seen it before, you definitely should. Anyway, I was sitting around, checking my email and had one of those “Huh…that’d be cool” moments. I had thought, what if there was a university bucket list; things to do before you graduate. So I jumped onto Google and began perusing. Finally I found an institution with a 101 List To Do Before You Graduate. It was a thorough list of items to do on campus at the university. Well, I took the concept of the 101 List and built upon it. Identifying key places, departments, community events and businesses for our students as well as reviewing comments made by our residential students about living in the downtown area  and created a 10 page list of items to do at our campus. It was actually quite difficult to narrow it down. There was so much to do and experience at our university. But after several weeks, all suggestions were whittled down to the 101 Things to Do Before You Graduate. It was a big hit the first two years. In the third year, I collaborated with our University Relations Social Media expert and we put it on FourSquare. Any item with a physical location was put as a tip for that location, and all the tips were listed on a FourSquare List.  It was a work in progress, and unfortunately I left before we could really launch the online portion of the project. However, using a social media platform for the list was something that we were excited to try.

I’m hoping that some of you, my Student Affairs colleagues, may be able to try it on your own individual campuses, and let me know how it worked and what you did to make it even better. J

No major thoughts today, but rather a step towards collaborative effort to create new programs. J Plus coming off from ACPA this week, the creative and collaborative energy is at an all time high.

Enjoy! And let the creative juices flow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment