Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A Good Read

So, I'm a type of individual who reads for one of three reasons; 1) I read what is required for class 2) I read what I'm specifically interested in or 3) I read for enjoyment (Which is rare). Now I traditionally never really promote or suggest books. But this latest book I read for my class was really good. Granted I read only the first part of the text, because the second half is about logotherapy theory.

Anyway, for a book review assignment, I read "Man's Search for Meaning". Let me tell you, it was really good. It may have been my experiences, where I am in life now, or just that I was read it three times by the end of my assignment, however, wow. I got so much from it. There is no obvious or direct relation between Student Affairs and the text, however some of the underlying themes are really poignant to SA. Also there are some great quotes, perspectives and observations on humanity, life, and a person's meaning in life.

All I can say is that this book is a must read. Below is a snippet of my review for you to peruse of my final thoughts from my review. But I highly encourage you to read the book. "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor E. Frankl.

“Everywhere man is confronted with fate, with the chance of achieving something through his own suffering” (Frankl, 2006, pg. 68). Viktor Frankl writes a raw and candid narrative on the experiences of one man in the Nazi concentration camps. His education in medicine and emphasis in psychiatry offers a poignant perspective that is rarely given amongst the thousands of accounts of the concentration camps with the ability to teach and engage the reader. The underlying themes of self-knowledge, survival and purpose in the work can be applied to educational leadership, and offer an opportunity to evaluate a leader’s abilities and practices. One final lesson Frankl offers the reader as well as a summary of the entire work is found midway through Man’s Search for Meaning;            “…but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from man but one     thing: the last of the human freedoms-to choose one’s attitude in any given set of           circumstances, to choose one’s own way.” (Frankl, 2006, pg. 66)

No comments:

Post a Comment