Thursday, February 7, 2013

Greeks for Thought


So, this post is a personal opinion on some musings and thoughts I've had about the recent event at Duke University. Being in Student Affairs, and from Campus Life and Student Organizations, I’ve been extremely watchful of the situation. Additionally, I am in a fraternity and have that vested interest as well.

The minute I heard, I read the first article I could find about the situation. From there, I think I have read over 100 different articles, blogs, and internet posts about the situation. And I’m still reading up on the situation.

Now, in case you have been under a rock for the past couple of days, or not been able to get to any news source, the situation surrounds a fraternity at Duke University who has come under fire for hosting a themed party that had several attendees depicting negative stereotypes of Asians.

So, let me just walk through my thoughts, and maybe give you some food for thought. As per usual, my thoughts may be scattered, but I’ve tried to organize them the best I can for you.

Themed parties are one of the characteristics of Greek Life. However becoming better individuals is another key characteristic of Greek Life. And part of becoming a better individual is being culturally aware and globally mindful. So, where is the balance between these characteristics? Does having a culturally themed party, which could have negative connotations to a specific group, counteract the progress made by the same organization in preparing the individuals for a global society? How, in Student Affairs, can I be proactive on teaching this balance? How do conversations move past “it was just for fun and no harm was meant”. Are there not other themes that can be used that do not further embed negative stereotypes of people? Do the most fun themes have to be insensitive? Is there such a thing as being too sensitive?

Personally, I’m a little put off on some of the insensitivity of the reaction by some of the opinions written. I have to admit it does frustrate me a little. I know the benefits of being in Greek Life. It seriously has changed my life, and my brothers have been there for me when at times my family wasn’t. However, it does get a little exhausting always having to fight the negative stereotypes of fraternities, especially in situations like this, which simply continues those stereotypes. (Yes, I totally see the irony of that statement)

Like I said, these are just some thoughts that I have mulled through over the past few days. I’m really interested in attending my class next week, where we are discussing sub-populations of students, and social Greek students are one of the sub-populations we will be talking about.

So maybe this has sparked some thoughts or ideas, or maybe given you another perspective but either way, its food for thought. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I have enjoyed reading your blog. I saw your post and I wanted to share an incident at USC. Though I understand that the incident at Duke would have touched you on a personal level because the frat was poking fun at culture you identify yourself as a participant, maybe because it was a major university or because it is on a geographic location closer to you... the incident at USC was all these things to me. http://m.colorlines.com/archives/2013/02/usc_frat_planned_a_racist_rager_but_a_mexican-american_student_put_them_on_blast.html. I have some many thoughts about it... especially how the communications student that brought the incident to light has recieved so many negative complications.

    ReplyDelete