Sunday, February 3, 2013

Food for Thought: Cheaper Baccalaureate?


When you hear community college, you don’t necessarily think of the baccalaureate degree. However, since 1989, states have slowly taken on the issue of allowing community colleges to grant baccalaureate degrees. Currently there are about 18 states with baccalaureate granting community colleges, with Florida leading with 18 granting institutions. The majority of the baccalaureate degrees granted at community colleges are in education and nursing to supplement the overcrowded public and private universities of the states.

But let me back up real quick to tell you how I decided to write about this. I first learned about baccalaureate granting community colleges last year when my state began conversations on allowing our community colleges to grant B.A.s in specific fields, in particular education and nursing, similar to Florida. And just recently read an article in a local paper about the legislation that is currently sitting in the State House.

At first I was skeptical and guarded about it. Granted I was biased, having a position at a public university and only having attended public universities as a student. So I hopped online and did a little Googling. Thus I discovered the debate of baccalaureate degrees granted by community colleges.

The argument in favor to allow community colleges to grant baccalaureate degrees completely makes sense, especially if there is a desire for more graduates in specific fields. However, I do wonder if there will be an effect on the state public and private institutions including enrollment and funding. It seems to need a balance of support and resources from the state legislatures and education boards in order to be successful.

I’m quite excited to watch as the state moves forward with allowing community colleges the ability to grant baccalaureate. My state has had decreases in state funding to higher education over the past few years; which makes me wonder how everything will play out in the legislature as far as support and resources. However, there are definitely major pros and cons to the state allowing the community colleges to grant baccalaureate degrees, but we'll just have to see what the legislature and education boards decide. 

Just food for thought :)

No comments:

Post a Comment