Thursday, May 2, 2013

Taste of Our Own Medicine

One of the most interesting revelations I've had while being a graduate student was about 2 weeks ago in the last class for the Administration and Organization class.

The professor of the class really left the burden to learn and figure out the information for ourselves We would sit through lecture and periodically he would have us talk in groups about the lecture and how it applied to the schools we worked or studied at. He would then walk around the class and help guide the conversations in the right direction.

In the last class we all were able to put in our own thoughts on his teaching style and ways he could improve or should leave the same. While listening to my fellow classmates, I realized something. The way he taught us, were the same processes that we use with our students to teach leadership and help them figure out problems. It was the first time in my graduate studies that we were given a "taste of our own medicine".

While listening to everyone we were not great at taking our own advice nor practices that we offer to students. We see students get frustrated and discouraged often times when we only offer them more questions or vague advise to help them learn and grow. And many times we don't understand why they are getting upset or frustrated or we are unable to guide them properly through those discouraging times and simply end up telling them what to do. When in their shoes, I was just as frustrated at times with my professor because he left it to me to make my education and wanted him to just tell me what to do, though now, I have a new appreciation and perspective of the way he taught our class and the way we advise our students. Which seems to be an interesting perspective. I wonder if we were able to put ourselves through those processes more often then perhaps it could help us better teach and advise our students and give them a better learning experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment