Monday, January 14, 2013

Tweet, Twit, Twunk


For this first blog I’m going to start with something light and simple while I get my bearings. So let me blog a bit about Social Media. We are interfacing with each other via the medium and it only seems fitting to pay homage to it.

So, this morning while I was doing my time on the elliptical, trying to remember to breath and not have a heart attack, I received an email containing the syllabus for my social media class.

Now, I’m extremely proficient at Social Media, and follow social media gurus like Eric Stoller. I religiously sit on Twitter and follow about a dozen hashtags. I have numerous peers and colleagues on Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and so forth, of whom I interact with on a daily basis. I’ve sat on Social Media Teams and Committees for my previous institution and even began several social media initiatives and programs. 

So, why have I elected to take this class?  Well, I made the decision for several reasons. First, it’s a fun and current topic for a class. Second, I think that everyone can always learn something new. Third, I’m all about networking and making new contacts. And finally, I enjoy learning how to help communicate the inner workings of social media to new individuals.

I’m really looking forward to this class. However, after reading through the syllabus, it reminded me that I assume that everyone knows the basics such as Twitter, Facebook, and Skype.

And thus onto my first blog tangent. A few months back I attended my last Social Media webinar at my former institution with members from Students Affairs. It was at this webinar that I came to understand that, while imperative to use in order to communicate with students, staff, administrators and faculty members were still confused and hesitant.  During this meeting, several directors were asking what “Twitting” and “hashtags” were (someone mentioned hashbrowns at this time :/). There were also inquiries about “Bookface”, Pinterest and “that Insta-thingy” (they were referring to Instagram) as well.

While maintaining a straight face as I listened to these questions, it made me realize that many of the administrative leaders of higher education are not firmly grounded in social media. Often times they leave social media to younger employees or student workers to maintain and create. While appreciative that this gives the younger generation a hold on a small part of the job market, I feel that it is an area that more institutional leaders should have knowledge of. Quick one-day social media classes would be a great way to get the administrators and staff and even faculty on the same page with social media. While it should be left to experts to guide and execute social media at their respective campuses, I would expect that directors, presidents, and so forth be able to give knowledgeable feedback of social media being used at their institutions. Or at the very least to understand enough so that when an employee says that they are going to Tweet about an event the director doesn’t turn around and ask what “Twitting” is.

Regarding my class, I’m still excited for it. While the first hour and a half, is dedicated to teach students about signing-up for Facebook, Twitter, and other social medias, I’ll be studying who the students in the class are (younger or older professionals), why they are taking this class, and how the instructor is teaching them. It is my hope that as I observe and participate, I learn how to adequately teach students, peers and administrators about social media and how to help move efficient and purposeful uses of social media for higher education institutions forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment